This article deals with the history and current state of Belokrinitskaya community in the town of Ivanovo. In the 19th — early 20th centuries, this was one of the major Russian centres of Old Believers, but nowadays there is only one small community in the town; it has a number of typical problems, ranging from the lack of a prayer room to the unwillingness of the young to continue the tradition. With one family as an example, the article demonstrates the changes that took place among the local Old Believers in the Soviet time, as well as main events and confl icts that aff ected the life of the community. The authors of the paper also raise the question about the character of the religiosity of modern urban Old Believers. They analyse the religious practice and circle of reading of a hereditary female Old Believer, her world outlook and self-identifi cation. We also touch upon the question about the commonly shared criteria of religiosity, e.g. the frequency of the prayer, going to church, sacrament of communion. By means of a specifi c example and employing a wide range of personal sources, we show the problem of collision of the traditional (Old Faith) and nontraditional, esoteric (urban), worldview. Particular attention is paid to the image of the representative of a traditional culture that has established in relevant scientifi c literature, as well as the infl uence of this image on academic researchers.
Ivanovo, old believers, religiosity, esoteric, fi eld research, belokrinitskie
- Baldin K. (2002) Vichugskaya storona [Vichuga Land]. Ivanovo (in Russian).
- Chesnokova V. (2005) Tesnym putem: protcess votscerkovleniya naseleniya Rossii v kontse XX veka [In a Narrow Way: Сhurching of the Population of Russia at the End of the 20th Century]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Evgeniya [Voloshina I.] (2006) Chelovek zhivet i v mire inom [Man Lives in the Other World]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Gadamer H.-G. (1960) Wahrheit und Methode. Moscow (Russian translation 1988).
- Kaariajnen K., Furman D. (2000) Starye tserkvi, novye veruyushchie. Religiya v massovom soznanii postsovetskoi Rossii [Old Churches, New Believers. Religion in Mass Consciousness of Post-Soviet Russia]. Moscow; St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Kabanov A. (2010) Staroobryadtsy vladimirskikh i kostromskikh zemel’ [Old Believers of Vladimir and Kostroma Regions]. Ivanovo (in Russian).
- Kerov V. (2004) «Se chelovek i delo ego...»: konfessional’no-ehticheskie faktory staroobryadcheskogo predprinimatel’stva v Rossii [“This is Man and his Work…”: Confessional and Ethical Factors of the Old Believers’ Entrepreneurship in Russia]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Martinovich V. (2015) Netraditsionnaya religioznost’: vozniknovenie i migratsiya. Materialy k izucheniyu netraditsionnoi religioznosti [Non-Traditional Religiosity: Genesis and Migration. Materials for the Study of Non-Traditional Religiosity]. Minsk (in Russian).
- Pozdeeva I. (2016) Chelovek. Kniga. Istoriya. Moskovskaya pechat’ XVII v. [Man. Book. History. Moscow Publishing in the 17th Century] Moscow (in Russian).
- Prutskova E. (2017) “Religioznost’ i bazovye tsennosti rossiyan (po dannym “Evropeiskogo sotsial’nogo issledovaniya” i vserossiiskogo issledovaniya “Ortodoks Monitor”)” [Religiosity and Core Values of Russians (according to the data of the “European Social Study” and All-Russian Study “Orthodox Monitor”]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia I: Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie, vol. 72, pp. 126‒143 (in Russian).
- Prutskova E. (2010) “Religioznost’: sposoby operatsionalizatsii i kolichestvennoi otsenki” [Religiosity: Ways to Operationalise and Quantify]. Materialy seminara “Sotsiologiia religii”. Seriia “Kolichestvennye issledovaniya religii. Mezhdunarodnaya praktika”. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sinelina Y. (2001) “O kriteriyah opredeleniya religioznosti naseleniya” [On the Criteria for Identifying the Religiostity of Population]. Sociologicheskie issledovaniya, vol., pp. 89‒96 (in Russian).
- Zol’nikova N. (1998) “Eskhatologiia eniseiskogo starovera-knizhnika chasovennogo soglasiia Isaia Nazarovicha (1970-e gg.)” [Eschatology of the Old Believer Isay Nazarovich from the Enisei River]. Ural’skĳ sbornik. Istoriia. Kul’tura. Religiia. Ekaterinburg, vol. 2, pp. 73‒80 (in Russian).
- Zontikov N. (2015) Staroobryadcheskii episkop Gerontii (Lakomkin): krestnyj put’ svyatitelya [The Old Believer Bishop Gerontiy (Lakomkin): Way to Calvary] Kostroma (in Russian).
Vorontsova Elena Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-1292-4580
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
Sundukova Daria Place of work:
Lomonosov Moscow State University, 27/4 Lomonosovsky Prosp., Moscow GSP-1, Russian Federation; Post:
Teaching and Learning Specialist; ORCID: 0000-0003-2158-9590
This work was supported by Russisn Fondfor basic research18-39-00087/18.