The concept of home in the context of children’s education according to the doctrine of St. John Chrysostom
Сапрыкина А. А. Понятие "дома"в контексте образования детей по учению святителя Иоанна Златоуста // Вестник ПСТГУ. Серия IV: Педагогика. Психология. 2014. Вып. 3 (34). С. 48-55. DOI: 10.15382/sturIV201434.48-55
The article contemplates the concept of home, family (oikos) in the pedagogical context of the doctrine of St. John Chrysostom. The basic features and functions of the “oikos” are discussed. According to Chrysostom the “oikos” is an organic whole, live organism which is capable of having a spiritual life. The “oikos” can also be compared to the Heaven, the Church where the father and the husband teaches his children and wife like a priest. Also the “oikos” is compared to a polis - a city-state governed by a king, and to the spiritual army. Chrysostom also encourages to consider the “oikos” as a school, a place of children’s education. The education function of the family is a central point of the Chrysostom’s discourse
Johannes Chrysostomus, home, family, marriage, a small Church, education, upbringing, teaching, children
1. Averincev S. S. Pojetika rannevizantijskoj literatury (Poetics of Early Byzantine Literature), Moscow, 1997.
2. Kibardin N. Sistema pedagogiki po tvorenijam blzh. Avgustina (Pedagogical System according to Works of St. Augustine), Kazan', 1910.
3. Muretov M. D. Hristianskij brak i Cerkov' (Christian Marriage and Church), Moscow, 2002.
4. D'jachenko G (ed.) Polnyj cerkovno-slavjanskij slovar' (s vneseniem v nego vazhnejshih drevnerusskih slov i vyrazhenij) (Complete Church-Slavonic Dictionary (with Bringing in It Main Old Russian Words and Expressions)), Moscow, 1993.
5. Troickij S. V. Hristianskaja filosofija braka (Christisn Philosophy of Marriage), Klin, 2001.
13. Liddell H. G., Scott R. (eds.) Greek-English Lexicon, New York, 1996.
6. Bara Z.-J. 2010 “The Obligation of the Christian Believers in the Works of Saint John Chrysostom”, in Studia Universitatis Babeş-Bolyai, Theologia Catholica Latina, 2010, vol. 2, pp. 74–75.
7. Uciecha A. 1986/1987 “Rodzina miejscem wychowania w traktacie pedagogicznym o wychowaniu dzieci Jana Chryzostoma” (Family Place of Education in Pedagogical Treatise about Education of Children of John Chysostom), in Slaskie studia historyczno-teologiczne, 1986/87, vol. 19/20, pp. 65–92.
Сапрыкина А. А. Роль отца в педагогическом учении святителя Иоанна Златоуста // Вестник ПСТГУ. Серия IV: Педагогика. Психология. 2014. Вып. 4 (35). С. 80-89. DOI: 10.15382/sturIV201435.80-89
This article presents the doctrine of the St. John Chrysostom about the role of a father in child education and care. The father is considered to be a head of a family like a king. However this king-father is responsible to the King-God for upbringing of his children. The main role of the king-father is a provident care of child i.e. extensive support, guidance, educational process management including the selection of teachers. The father is also called «a teacher» which highlights the ﬁrst and one of the most important task of a father. Chrysostom urges a father both to guide a mother in the upbringing process and also educate his children directly ﬁrst of all in the religious and moral ﬁ elds.
Johannes Chrysostomus, father, mather, parents, family, education, teacher, providence, upbringing, teaching, king in home.
1. Kibardin N. P. Sistema pedagogiki po tvorenijam blzh. Avgustina (Pedagogical System according to Works of St. Augustine), Kazan', 1910.
2. Mansurov I. H. 2008 “Arche kak antropologicheskij princip v bogoslovii i filosofii svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Arche as Anthropological Principle in Theology and Philosophy of St. John Chrysostom), in Al'fa i Omega, 2008, vol. 1/51, pp. 82–95.
3. Saprykina A. A. 2012 “Kljuchevye pedagogicheskie ponjatija v nasledii svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Key Pedagogical Ideas in Heritage of St. John Chrysostom), in Vestnik PSTGU. Serija IV: Pedagogika. Psihologija, 2012, vol. 4/27.
4. Fomina M. S. 1993 “Drevnejshie spiski sbornika Zlatostruj v rannej slavjanskoj pis'mennosti XI–XII vekov” (Oldest Copies of Collection Zlatostruj in Early Slavic Literature of XI–XII Centuries), in TODRL, Saint-Petersburg, 1993, vol. 47.
5. Balla P. The Child-Parent Relationship in the New Testament and its Enviroment, Tübingen, 2003.
6. Ebner E. Elementary Education in Ancient Israel, Charlestone, 2011.
7. Gärtner M. Die Familienerziehung in der alten Kirche, Köln, 1985.
The responsibility of parents for education of children as a principle of pedagogical teachings of St. John Chrysostom
Сапрыкина А. А. Ответственность родителей за воспитание детей как принцип педагогического учения святителя Иоанна Златоуста // Вестник ПСТГУ. Серия IV: Педагогика. Психология. 2016. Вып. 1 (40). С. 62-74. DOI: 10.15382/sturIV201640.62-74
The article contemplates one of the main principles of the doctrine of St. John Chrysostom — the principle of responsibility of parents for education of children. This idea can be clearly seen in the most important known Christian texts of the ﬁ rst centuries. According to the doctrine of St. John Chrysostom, a child belongs to the God and He entrusts the father and the mother with a task to bring him up and to teach the child for Him. If the parents neglect their obligations — if they do not duly guide, regulate and provide the souls of their children — the God will hold them responsible for the failure of the task committed.
John Chrysostom, parents, family, upbringing, education, providence, birth, children, responsibility, Church, Kingdom.
1. Averincev S. S. Pojetika rannevizantijskoj literatury (Poetics of Early Byzantium Literature), Moscow, 1997.
2. Maksutov I. H. 2008 “Arche kak antropologicheskij princip v bogoslovii i filosofii svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Arche as Anthropological Principle in Theology and Philosophy of St. John Chrysostome), in Al'fa i Omega, 2008, vol. 1/51.
3. Pavlov A. A. Rimskaja antichnaja familia v svete ‘novoj social'noj istorii’: novye podhody sovremennoj zapadnoj istoriografii (obzor) (Rome Antique Family in Light of “New Social History: New Approaches of Modern Western Historiography (Survey)”), Syktyvkar, 2004.
4. Pokrovskij I. A. Istorija Rimskogo prava (History of Roman Law), Saint-Petersburg, 1998.
5. Saprykina A. A. 2012 “Kljuchevye pedagogicheskie ponjatija v nasledii svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Key Pedagogical Ideas in Heritage of St. John Chrysostom), in Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. IV: Pedagogika. Psihologija, 2012, vol. 4/27, pp. 94–112.
6. Saprykina A. A. Semejnoe vospitanie v pedagogicheskom uchenii Ioanna Zlatousta: dis. ... kand. ped. nauk (Family Education of Pedagogical Teaching of John Chrysosteom: Dissertation), Moscow, 2012.
7. Gärtner M. Die Familienerziehung in der Alten Kirche, Köln, 1985.
The Home as the Educational Space. Taking as Example of the Family of the Professor, Priest St. I. A. Artobolevsky, Father of Academician I. I. Artobolevsky
Сапрыкина А. А. Дом как образовательное пространство (на примере семьи профессора, протоиерея, святого Иоанна Артоболевского, отца академика И. И. Артоболевского) // Вестник ПСТГУ. Серия IV: Педагогика. Психология. 2016. Вып. 2 (41). С. 76-94. DOI: 10.15382/sturIV201641.76-94
The article presents the phenomenon of the educational space of the family. As the case studies we've taken the example of teaching and upbringing of children in the house of the professor and priest I. A. Artobolevsky. The recearch is based on a study of pedagogical sermons of the father of this family and the autobiography of one of the sons, outstanding scientist, The James Watt International Gold Medal's prizewinner I. I. Artobolevsky. The paper presents «educational space» of the family in which the plenitude of spiritual, intellectual and educational potential of the parents involved. We've studied the relationship between all members of the family and their impact on their educational abilities. The role of the parental circle of communication and home library in the formation of the child's educational needs. Mr. аnd Mrs. Artobolevsky were the ﬁrst educators and teachers of their children. The article presents also the forms of involving of the parents in teaching of their son as gymnasium student. In the case the father in the family as master, intellectual leader and organizer of the integral holistic educational process is building his home as an educational space. In such «space» the system of cultural and educational values, culture and education are translated from elders to youngers through the constitution of the family life.
educational space, intellectual environment, upbringing, teaching, parents, family, home, interpersonal relationships, the circle of communication, management of pedagogical process, a scientist formation.
1. Andreev A. L. 2015 “Intellektual'nye sredy: konceptual'naja perspektiva glazami sociologa” (Intellectual Spheres: Conceptual Perspective in the Eyes of a Sociologist), in Vestnik RAN, 2015, vol. 85/4, p. 24.
2. Bekker I. L., Zhuravchik V. N. 2009 “Obrazovatel'noe prostranstvo kak social'naja i pedagogicheskaja kategorija” (Educational Space as Social and Pedagogical Category), in Izvestija PGPU im. V. G. Belinskogo. Obshhestvennye nauki, 2009, vol. 12/16, p. 132.
3. Bogoljubov A. N. N. N. Bogoljubov. Zhizn'. Tvorchestvo (N. N. Bogoljubov. Life. Works), Dubna, 1996.
4. Bogoljubov A. N. Ivan Ivanovich Artobolevskij, Moscow, 1982.
5. Golubcov S. Professora MDA v setjah ChK i GULAGa (Professors of Moscow Spiritual Academy in Nets of Secret Service and GULAG), Moscow, 1999.
6. Kapterov P. F. Istorija russkoj pedagogiki (History of Russian Pedagogics), Saint-Petersburg, 2004.
7. Ponomarev R. E. 2003 “Obrazovatel'noe prostranstvo kak osnovopolagajushhee ponjatie teorii obrazovanija” (Educational Space as Ground Idea of Educational Theory), in Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie i nauka, 2003, vol. 1, pp. 29–31.
8. Saprykin D. L. Obrazovatel'nyj potencial Rossijskoj Imperii (Educational Potential of Russian Empire), Moscow, 2009.
9. Saprykina A. A. 2012 “Kljuchevye pedagogicheskie ponjatija v nasledii svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Crucial Pedagogical Ideas in Heritage of St. John Chrysostom), in Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. IV: Pedagogika. Psihologija, 2012, vol. 4/27, pp. 94–112.
10. Saprykina A. A. 2014 “Ponjatie «doma» v kontekste obrazovanija detej po ucheniju svjatitelja Ioanna Zlatousta” (Idea of “Home” in Context of Children Education according to Teaching of St. John Chrysostom), in Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. IV: Pedagogika. Psihologija, 2014, vol. 3/34, pp. 48–55.
11. Newman J .H. The Idea of a University, New Haven & London, 1996.